**Click here for Upcoming Classes**
- Personalized Firearms Training – small classes (no more than 8 students for regular classes) on private property. More individual attention. Larger groups upon request.
- A GREAT location for firearms training in central Texas – Relaxed rural setting on private property. AC is nice, but most indoor ranges are quite limiting on how you train.
- Firearms Training plans designed to meet individual needs and experience.
- Classroom and range on same site (no range fee).
- I’m available to conduct training any time. If you don’t see a course, call or email me and we’ll get one set up!
- Handgun and rifle rentals and ammunition available by request. Contact for details.
- Establish the fundamentals of shooting first. Shooting is truly simple…properly align the sights on the target and move the trigger until the gun fires, without disturbing your sights. Simple isn’t always easy. Good instruction and practice make the difference.
- Small classes focused on the individual
- Private class and range in a relaxed rural environment – just outside of Gatesville, TX
- Defensive Pistol Skills
- NRA Basic Pistol Course (link to register)
- NRA Basic Rifle Course
- Texas License to Carry (LTC)
- Personalized training plans
- Visit our calendar
My training is designed to develop confidence and competence with whatever firearm you choose to own or carry. My shooting courses are centered around small classes, typically 6 or less, to provide the best individual and personal attention.
Whether you are new to handguns or firearms in general and feel nervous about taking a class, or are very experienced and comfortable around firearms, I will meet you at your experience level and work with you to meet your goals.
With two tours at the US Army Marksmanship Unit, and a “Master” classification with the US Practical Shooting Association (USPSA), my handgun training courses bring over 20 years of experience to the client.
I graduated from Texas A&M University in 1998 and spent the next 20 years as a Field Artillery Officer. I retired from the Army as a Lieutenant Colonel after serving as the Commander of the US Army Marksmanship Unit. An avid competitive pistol shooter, I love to share my experience and teach others.
Get In Touch
More Ways to Get In Touch
11 thoughts on “Sheepdog Marksmanship Training”
I came to the basic pistol class with pretty much zero knowledge or experience. I actually dreaded attending the class, so much was my fear of guns. At the completion of the class, I felt confident in both the basic knowledge of how my gun works, and also in actually shooting it. Jim is very calm, patient, and encouraging, and I highly recommend his class.
Jim was an awesome instructor for the Basic Pistol Course. My friends and I learned a lot and left with confidence. Jim was very thorough with the information and dedicated time to each of us. We can’t wait to attend more courses offered by Sheepdog Marksmanship.
Jim was an imaging and instructor. His patients and attention to detail were so essential when it came to instilling confidence in our class. I would recommend any and everyone who wants to learn firearms to take his course. We had a blast.
I want to give Jim the highest possible recommendation and I’m trying to get my friends to come up to his place. Even if you’ve been shooting for years, like me you probably have room for improvement.
Great class for anyone from beginner to experienced with individualized training. Improved my shooting accuracy and Jim was a wonderful instructor.
Jim was an excellent instructor for the Basic NRA pistol class. He was thorough, patient and encouraging for this first time handgun shooter. I came having never shot a pistol and left with confidence.
Jim is great instructor. He helped me get threw my fear of taking the test because of my dyslexia. I encourage everyone to take his class. He explains everything very well
Amazing instruction with Jim. Anyone skill level will gain something from his class. Very professional, individualized, and structured class with a fun competitive task at the end. I highly recommend any of his classes!
I attended the Defensive Pistol Skills class and was tremendously satisfied with the training that I received. I walked away with a new wealth of knowledge and confidence in handling a pistol from the holster. I also appreciated the small class size that allowed for 2-way interaction. The training facilities and outdoor range are great. Jim Barrows is a confident and positive instructor and a great host! His personal attention to each shooter and thorough instructions through each drill are to be commended. I have and will promote to every gun owner that I know.
Thanks for the feedback, Rei. Great to have you out and hope to get you back!